Friday, June 19, 2015

Helpmates in pouring wax and packing for show

As I have explained before I have two cookers that I use and vary the temperature from 200 degrees for the first two pours (or if it is a tiny piece or relief 220 degrees) and the other stays around 160-180 degrees for the second two pours.

I have finally gotten smart concerning some of the safety issues of pouring wax.

These are inexpensive silicon gloves sold at WM for less than 5.00 and have saved my hands from getting the usual splatter and splash of hot wax during the pouring and rolling process. Love them!


saves the skin...silicon cooking glove

Also not shown is the can I pinched the lip into a dent to be able to dip into the hot wax and deliver it into even the smallest pour holes (believe me when I say some of mine seem to be smaller than a pinky finger tip.
Also always remember that I keep a large bowl next to me in case I do get splashed to put the skin into to relieve the pain and also hardens the wax instantly.

Below are some of the tips I have been shown by my base maker to protect the bases. I had no idea that bubble wrap can leave the same impression on wood bases as that of rain or water damage. He explained to me that you must wrap pieces in some type of soft absorbent cloth before you cover them with the flat wrapping pad (not the huge bubbles).
 
  

Take an old t-shirt or piece of soft flannel and wrap your piece carefully.
 Then after you wrap the piece in soft cloth, wrap them again in  flat pad plastic wrap but not bubble wrap. Then you wrap them lastly in a regular packing blanket.
 To add even more protection to any bumps or rattles and rolls I add a piece of Styrofoam packing sheets 1" thick to bottom of the tub.

Hopefully these tips will help you along the way and not have to be learned the hard way along the way.

Remember burns hurt and damaged pieces must be repaired before showing and that is all out of your pocket. Let me hear from you if you have run into any other problems that I might have already stumbled into. Thanks again for dropping in...

Thanks also if you have left a message..love those!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment