Friday, November 21, 2014

Journey of creating a piece, Rocky Mountain Bighorn

A lot of people still ask me what all entails coming up with creating a piece from start to finish and it is not something you can tell in 15 seconds.

To begin with you must have an idea of what you want to do and be able to play around with it so that it is not set in cement. Ideas are great but they often have to be flexible, you will run into problems and have to spin off in a different direction.

When I began my research I first had to decide which animal I admire enough to spend 4-6 months creating it and devoting my time to developing it. Out of the same family there are several rams that are similar but divided by geography and often build or coloration.


Dall Sheep

Desert Bighorn

Stone Sheep



These are all so similar in genetics but not in region.
 
 
Rocky Mountain Bighorn



I very seldom use taxidermy animals but have resorted to using for delicate areas that I would be unable to view on a live animal.
These were all animals at the DOW office down off of I-25 in north Denver. In fact the bighorn is the state record for largest Rocky Mountain Bighorn. These photos will play an important part in the development of this piece (plus I won't have to guess).
 
Now the next step is to do your own research from you own sightings and watching the animal move will help you decide exactly what position you want to begin your armature.
 



 
 
This was a very nice Rocky Mountain Bighorn caught enjoying his high view in the Big Thompson Canyon.
 
 




These are a little grainy but gave me an idea of the terrain around the animal.
 
 
Now the idea is established and the work begins, first the armature and catching the gesture that you want.




Often you will play with clay figures until you get them exactly as you see in your mind.

 
You play with clay until you find they are looking more like the stone shelves you saw the animals on being sure to not leave undercuts where they do not need to be (making a clean mold take-away). I actually separated the base so that they are each standing on their own little base removing some of the weight and also distraction from the piece.
I will dedicate another post to the casting and final work on the piece.
Thanks for checking in on my blog.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment